[Talk-GB] place=village/town/city

Stuart Reynolds stuart at travelinesoutheast.org.uk
Fri Feb 12 13:36:22 UTC 2016

Leigh-on-sea has a Town Council. And the residents of Leigh (myself included) like to give it an identity that is distinct from Southend-on-sea, which historically it was. But in practice you would be hard pushed to claim that Leigh was a separate town. Administratively, it has been part of the Borough (Town) of Southend-on-sea for many, many years and there are no hard and fast boundaries that show where it starts and ends on at least two sides. So just because it has a Town Council (but not, in this case, a mayor), it doesn’t mean that it _is_ a town.

Personally, I had always regarded Hamlet/Village/Town as being population-based designators.

Regards,
Stuart

Stuart Reynolds
for traveline south east & anglia