[Talk-GB] place=village/town/city

Chris Hill osm at raggedred.net
Fri Feb 12 14:23:30 UTC 2016

On 12/02/16 11:51, Ian Caldwell wrote:

> On 11 February 2016 at 21:32, Michael Booth <boothym at gmail.com
> <mailto:boothym at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     So my question is, how are we defining villages, towns and cities?
>     Only by population, or do we also take into account their
>     generally accepted status (whilst trying to be consistent across
>     the country)?
>

> In England towns will normally have a town council. Villages
> will normally have a parish council. Only really a name difference see
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Town_council#England_and_Wales .

The whole situation is complex. There are places with 'city status' that
really aren't for OSM's purposes, there are villages that become towns,
villages bigger than many towns that are still villages, there are town
council areas and civil parishes that have more than one settlement in
them with separate names, some of which may ormay not be a hamlet. I
have found a local example where a civil parish has declared itself to
be a town, but both of the settlements in it are still firmly villages
(see http://chris-osm.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/when-is-town-not-town.html).

I love living in a country with such variety and I'm very pleased that
OSM copes nicely with this variety (if the tag and wiki fiddlers just
leave things alone).

--
Cheers, Chris (chillly)