[Talk-GB] Additional Tagging Suggestions for Schools

John Aldridge jpsa at cantab.net
Fri Feb 12 23:01:20 UTC 2016

On 12-Feb-16 20:22, Lester Caine wrote:
> On 12/02/16 19:34, John Aldridge wrote:
>> On 12-Feb-16 17:31, Lester Caine wrote:
>>> I adopted the standard of official_name=xxx where the edubase listing
>>> differs from the signage or other local 'format'...
>>
>> I'm not objecting, but why did you feel you wanted to clone information
>> from edubase into OSM at all?
>>
>> Given the presence of the ref:edubase tag, I can look the official
>> information up if I want to know (and without the risk of it becoming
>> out of date).
>
> I have no problem on them being removed,

I have no intention of removing anything -- I'm merely curious!

> but while cross checking they
> were a useful reference, and seeing the entry I can see how many are
> different in edubase.

You mean they serve the same function as not:name does for street names
in reducing noise from automated consistency checking? OK, I can see
that's useful.

> But don't assume that the data
> provided by the third party are more up to date than the OSM version ;)

But in this case of official_name I thought you were saying the
appropriate value was the value from edubase, so by definition it
couldn't be out of date there.

> A substantial number of the website links I loaded are out of date on
> the edubase records :( OSM is now more accurate than edubase ...

Now that doesn't surprise me at all! I absolutely agree that putting
(e.g.) website information into OSM is appropriate -- especially if
edubase is wrong.

--
Cheers,
John