[Talk-GB] Geovation - Location information innovation grants - now open for applications

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 19:44:35 UTC 2016

I hadn't even thought of the travel side tbh! Faily glaring when its
pointed out!

This type of competition for a grant or similar has become increasingly
common. I think Nottingham spent £500,000 to try & win a slot as a venue
for England's wonderfully successful World Cup bid, and the local Wildlife
Trust has pitched for a few (e.g., for revamping Sherwood Forest visitor
centre).

I rather suspect they're a decent source of fee income for the sundry
consultants and judges necessary for running them. Also like most
grantsmanship the idea is that you use money from your last grant to help
bid for the second (e.g., by scheduling grant-funded travel to coincide
with next round bid meetings).

Jerry