[Talk-GB] 2016 first quarterly project:Schools

Paul Bivand paul.bivand at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Jan 2 13:42:47 UTC 2016

Hi all.

Can't keep up with these quarterly projects - I'm still on postboxes etc.
Which aren't yet properly surveyed for areas I can easily get to. (ME and DA)

However, on this one, the England school lists are kept up to date - it's just
they put them on .GOV.UK (shouting) which of course is the best way of hiding
anything.

This seems to be the current page:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/schools-in-england

Academisation followed by changes in sponsorship, chains going belly-up, seems
to result in an acceleration in changes of name, so the up to date DfE list
should be preferred to anything from OSSV. The previous name could be added as
old_name or alt_name. The latter on the grounds that local parents will
normally continue using the old name and the academy branding is just for
official purposes. The churning of names is equally likely to apply to Free
Schools. (which are as free (money) as the others and just as controlled by
DfE contracts as academies....)

Paul Bivand (paulbiv)