[Talk-GB] 2016 first quarterly project:Schools

Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) robert.whittaker+osm at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 18:43:10 UTC 2016

On 2 January 2016 at 12:51, Brian Prangle <bprangle at gmail.com> wrote:
> Happy New Year! (and Happy New Mapping Year!) The first Quarterly Project
> for 2016 is now under way and is Schools. There are really two strands to
> this project.
>
> The first is to remotely (armchai)r map and get an increase in coverage of
> the number of schools
>
> The latest government data is for January 2012 which shows 24,372 schools in
> England (including nursery schools, state-funded primary schools,
> state-funded secondary schools, special schools, pupil referral units and
> independent schools.)

Since most of the code could be re-used from what I already do for
Post Offices, I've put together a quick comparison tool to compare the
Edubase data for England with what's currently in OSM:
http://robert.mathmos.net/osm/schools/progress/

It's a bit rough at the moment. I'm currently only using the data for
England, and only fetching OSM *ways* tagged with amenity=school .
There are no markers on the slippy map yet either, and the matching
process is rather basic. With luck, I'll have some time to make some
improvements in the next couple of weeks. In the mean time, the lists
of non-matching items will hopefully still be useful to people.

One caveat though -- I'm not completely sure that the Edubase data is
(or should be) available under an OSM-compatible Licence (the OGL in
this case). In particular the addresses and postcodes may be tainted
by AddressBase. Until the licence is confirmed, we should avoid using
Edubase data directly to add or edit Schools in OSM. There should be
sufficient other sources available though.

Best wishes,

Robert.

--
Robert Whittaker