[Talk-GB] 2016 first quarterly project:Schools

Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) robert.whittaker+osm at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 11:35:39 UTC 2016

On 7 January 2016 at 09:41, Stuart Reynolds
<stuart at travelinesoutheast.org.uk> wrote:
> My vote would go to a format of ref:<something>.
>
> I’m not at all hung up on what <something> should be, though. “edubase”
> ought to feature in there somewhere, and while I am minded to add “uk” as
> well, none of the entries tabulated on the wiki seem to bother with the
> country name. So would someone care to pick one, or choose one of these
> suggestions:
>
> ref:edubase
> ref:edubase_urn
> ref:uk_edubase
> ref:uk_edubase_urn
> ref:school:edubase
> ref:school:edubase_urn

If there is an agreement on something it will be easy enough to
collect this data in my tool and use it to help get the matching
right. I'm not too bothered about what the key is, although I agree it
would be best not to use "ref" alone, and something short and
understandable would be good. Including edubase is definitely
tempting, though the download from
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/schools-in-england suggests
that the URN may actually by assigned by the Department for Education
(DfE) rather than being an Edubase-specific key.

Also to add to the mix is that we need a corresponding key name for
Scottish schools. These are (mostly) not listed in Edubase and the
Scottish Government have their own list and ID numbers for their
schools. I've used the list at
http://www.gov.scot/Topics/Statistics/Browse/School-Education/Datasets/contactdetails
which has a "SeedCode" field. Presumably SEED="Scottish Executive
Education Department".

Robert.

PS: If you haven't looked at
http://robert.mathmos.net/osm/schools/progress/ recently, the area
maps now have markers to show the matches, and the unmatched and
missing schools in OSM.

--
Robert Whittaker