[Talk-GB] More questions on Schools project

Dan S danstowell+osm at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 12:35:23 UTC 2016

> Hi All,
>
> I have some questions about naming, and also the content of Edubase.
>
> In Southend (SS postcode area) there are some schools which have
> “alternative” names by which they are more commonly known. One example is
> Leigh, where the school is always known locally as “Leigh North Street”. So
> should I adopt the Edubase name as the “name” or should I use the local
> name? If the former, what tag should I use to list the alternative?

OSM convention is to prefer "what is on the ground" - the "name" tag
should really be what is written on the sign outside the school. Then
you can use "loc_name" or "alt_name" for the alternative name as
described here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Names#loc_name

> Of course, tagging with the Edubase reference will help to match, regardless
> of name - I have also used “&” where Edubase has “and”, which currently
> leads to Rob’s table not finding a match. Likewise with e.g. Westcliff High
> School for Boys Academy, where the “Academy” part adds nothing, so I have
> left it off (especially as the three other grammars, including the girls
> school next door, manage without it).
>
> Finally, on tagging, there appear to be some anomalies. The aforementioned
> Leigh is one - this used to be two schools, now merged to be Leigh Primary
> School. Edubase only has one entry, but names it Leigh Infant School. I
> assume that Edubase will catch up, eventually, but for now I will use the
> correct name for the school and tag it with the Infant School URN. The other
> one, which I am struggling with, is Thorpe Greenways. There is only one
> entry in Edubase - Thorpe Greenways Infant School. But according to their
> website (http://www.greenways.southend.sch.uk) the infant and junior schools
> are still two schools, but run as a federation called “The Federation of
> Greenways Schools”. Are they two schools? Or one? Given that they share
> leadership, governors, and budget I would assume one, as does Edubase,
> apparently. Any thoughts?
>
> If someone could also suggest how to tag one school split across two sites,
> I would be very happy!

I like the "site" relation but it's not as widely-used as I might like...
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:site

Best
Dan