[Talk-GB] UKOSM - technical aspects

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Mon Jan 11 06:34:07 UTC 2016

On 1/10/2016 1:47 PM, Harry Wood wrote:
> For an OSMUK website you mean? I have a few ideas about that, and would like to be involved.
>
> Certainly I'd like to see something done in an openly editable way so it's not too much of a centralised "request changes from the chief" situation. Code in github is a great way to help with that. Maybe*content*  in github too, if we use some file-based system. Although I have some whacky wiki content syndication ideas too.
>
> I've just set up an osmuk organisation on github as a placeholder for this stuff:
>
> https://github.com/osmuk

I strongly recommend some kind of static page generator, e.g. Jekyll.
Initially you're unlikely to need anything else, and maintenance is
substantially easier than dynamic options.

You may later need something involving server-side programming, but no
website yet, you should try to get off the ground quickly and leave more
complicated features until later.

Jekyll also has the advantage that you can use GitHub pages for hosting
if you want. It's not always the best option, but if it does work it's
one of the lowest maintenance ones.