[Talk-GB] Schools project - update

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Wed Jan 13 15:28:15 UTC 2016

Hi

Is there a similar national database for nurseries, or would that be
controlled by individual local authorities?

Further comments in-line

On 12/01/2016 22:01, Rob Nickerson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> > Cross post to talk-ie (we are working on a quarterly project to map
> schools - feel free to join (see item 3 below).
>
> A few updates for the schools mapping project. As always there is also
> the page on the wiki for quick reference (
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/UK_Quarterly_Projects ).
>
> 0. Changeset comments
> Don't forget to add #OSMschools to your changeset comments. I will ask
> Pascal Neis for an updated "Who's contributing" dataset next week.

I've been adding this tag but will probably only retrieve the roughest
of data. I've often gone off on a tangent amending/adding adjacent
objects, realigning roads etc.

> 2. Robert's data by postcode.
> Robert W has updated his comparison site to enable you to download the
> schools by postcode data as a geojson. Example download URL is:
> http://robert.mathmos.net/osm/schools/progress/B/data.js
>
> Once downloaded, open the file, delete the first line ("var matched =
> ") and save.

I've already been using this data in P2 as part of it's 'Tasks' feature.
No laborious panning around!
http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Richard/diary/28267

Do any other the other editors have a similar feature?

I found it easier if I separate Robert's files into 3 for each
FeatureCollection: Matched, Unmatched & Missing. I also wanted to do
start with my local county rather than by postcode so I've used Overpass
Turbo to retrieve the relevant data: http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/dIG
(change county name>run>Export>geojson)

Cheers
Dave F,