[Talk-GB] Abbreviations in OSM and schools

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Mon Jan 18 08:48:52 UTC 2016

On 18/01/16 08:12, Dan S wrote:
>> Isn't this a "mechanical" edit ? Shouldn't we list what is on the
>> > ground, .i.e. the name that can be found on the entrance in the name
>> > field ?
>> > I would put CEVA in short_name.
> There is also "official_name" which I think would be useful for the
> full, qualified, too-long-for-a-sign name that Ed is asking about:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Names

This is not just a 'school' problem,although there is a better chance
that there IS only one sign. Villages using different spellings for
their names, and having yet more variations on the signs on entrances to
the village, along with their Parish Council using yet another 'title'
for their local name over the parliamentary listing :)

Yes a closer inspection of sign-age should be part of the longer term
development, but there is often sufficient material on the relevant
school website to pick up most variations. That the Parish Council will
list the school with their own personal slant is also no uncommon ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL