[Talk-GB] Quarterly Project : Schools - Wales data

Bogus Zaba bogsub at bogzab.plus.com
Mon Jan 18 16:41:43 UTC 2016

Following the wiki guidelines (
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/UK_Quarterly_Projects ) I have been
adding a ref:estyn=* tag to schools which are local to me. I plan to
cover some rather further afield if other mappers in Wales do not seem
to be participating enthusiastically.

I was however a bit surprised to see that the progress tool referenced
here : http://robert.mathmos.net/osm/schools/progress/
includes Welsh postcodes but uses Edubase rather than estyn as the data
source. As far as I can make out,  estyn is the more comprehensive data
source for Wales, Edubase is by no means complete.

Would I be correct in assuming that the progress tool is not really
something that we should be relying on when it comes to looking at Welsh
schools? My own overpass turbo queries suggest that there are 1474
amenity=school tags in Wales of which 36 so far have a ref:estyn=* tag.
I guess we have a little way to go...

bogzab

--
Dr Bogumil N Zaba