[Talk-GB] Quarterly Project : Schools - Wales data

Bogus Zaba bogsub at bogzab.plus.com
Tue Jan 19 13:17:44 UTC 2016

On 18/01/16 18:56, Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) wrote:
> On 18 January 2016 at 16:41, Bogus Zaba <bogsub at bogzab.plus.com> wrote:
>> I was however a bit surprised to see that the progress tool referenced
>> here : http://robert.mathmos.net/osm/schools/progress/
>> includes Welsh postcodes but uses Edubase rather than estyn as the data
>> source. As far as I can make out,  estyn is the more comprehensive data
>> source for Wales, Edubase is by no means complete.
> I set up http://robert.mathmos.net/osm/schools/progress/ . I was aware
> of the Estyn source, but was hoping that Edubase already had all the
> Welsh schools covered, as the Edubase data was easier to import
> automatically. You seem to be suggesting that this isn't the case. It
> looks like the Estyn numbers are actually a three-digit LA code
> followed by a four-digit school code, which correspond to the
> "LA/Establishment Number" stored in Edubase. I did a quick check with
> the Isle of Anglesey schools, and it seems both Estyn and Edubase have
> the same number -- 56. If you area aware of significant numbers of
> schools missing from Edubase, then please let me know, and I'll see
> how easy it would be to import the Estyn data too. In the mean time,
> I'm afraid the Estyn codes won't be picked up by my tool.
>
> Robert.

Robert -

Many thanks for prompt reply. I think on further investigation you are
correct - Edubase *does* contain all the schools that I have looked at
in this area based on the Estyn listing.

I had a full list of Estyn-listed establishments and was cross-checking
to the Edubase list but using only the web-based edubase query tool
(http://www.education.gov.uk/edubase/home.xhtml). I now see that in
using that query you have to be careful to try both "Ruthin" and "Ruthun" or
"Denbigh" and "Dinbych" - ie English and Welsh versions of the placenames.
Something you might think a local would not take too long to work out...

Is there a way of downloading the whole of the edubase database so that
I do not run into the problems of searching on terms that I may not get
quite right?

Thanks also for explaining the relationship between the estyn id and the
edubase establishment - that helps in tying things together.

At the end of the day however, if Welsh schools are tagged with
ref:estyn=* but not with ref:edubase=*, am I right in thinking that they
will not be picked up as "progress" in the quarterly project?

Thanks again for your work and specific help on this.

Bogus Zaba

-- Dr Bogumil N Zaba