[Talk-GB] Rendering of layers

Stuart Reynolds stuart at travelinesoutheast.org.uk
Thu Jan 21 11:22:54 UTC 2016

Personally I think that Reading is cheating.

The outline that is called the railway station “building” includes the ticket halls, the bridge, and the platform surfaces to the extent that these stick out of the bridge area. I don’t agree with this - the last time I looked, a platform wasn’t a building; it is a platform. I would expect this to be a site relation - and in fact, Euston appears to be mapped that way, so it doesn’t look like I’m a million miles out with that thought.

Next, the individual “platforms" have been mapped as edges alongside the satellite-visible parts of the platform areas. The platforms in OSM don’t extend under the footbridge - when in reality they do. Again, at Euston the platforms are areas (split in half to allow tagging of each platform number). Yes the bridge at Reading is marked as a bridge, which it allows it to go over the tracks. But it really is a bridge at Reading. At Gatwick it is a whole building over the tracks.

So, to me, Reading looks like it has been mapped for the renderer, rather than representing what is physically on the ground.

Regards
Stuart

Stuart Reynolds
for traveline south east & anglia