[Talk-GB] OSMSchools - Tagging question Outdoor Education Centre

alasdair at dunakin.me.uk alasdair at dunakin.me.uk
Thu Jan 21 13:26:22 UTC 2016

Mentioning Plas-y-Brenin brought the Scottish equivalent, Glenmore Lodge
to mind so I checked how that was tagged, just a generic building so
that was no use.

  I also looked at a couple of other outdoors centres I recall from
schooldays, Benmore and Dounans, one was a building and one a school. So
certainly up here in Scotland there doesn't seem to be an appropriate
tag in use.

I like amenity=outdoor_education_centre as a generic enough name that
conveys the purpose and signifies that it isn't a school or a leisure
centre.

Al.
On 21/01/2016 12:47, SK53 wrote:

> A quick check on taginfo only directed me to one Outward Bound centre (that in Eskdale Green), and that is just tagged as a building. They have 6 centres. Another organisation rather different in scope is the Field Studies Council with around 12 centres. Provision by LEA is declining (the Castleton centre is now a Youth Hostel), but better off schools will often have their own dedicated centre. Plas-y-Brenin [1], which is more directly sport oriented, is only mapped as buildings..
>
> These are fairly distinct institutions with a mix of education & leisure objectives: with their primary role being education (certainly from a financial perspective & the need to have instructors DBS (CRB) checked). If we had a widely used top-level education key, I'd use that, but as most, if not all, education-related places use the amenity key, that's where I'd start. So I'd suggest something like amenity=outdoor_education_centre or amenity=outdoor_learning_centre. Sub-tagging could be used to distinguish those with a bent towards physical activities versus those which do field study.
>
> Plas-y-Brenin does fit the leisure=sports_centre suggested by DanS.
>
> There must be at least a hundred, if not several hundred such facilities in the UK. I'm aware of similar places in many alpine villages in the Swiss Alps (e.g., a " Ferien- und Schulungszentrum" near Ilanz), and passed the "Maison des Salines" [2] in Brittany, shortly after SotM-France. ( The latter appears to be used as a Colonie des Vacances, so I tagged this as leisure=holiday_camp.). Therefore I would think there are good reasons not to try & coerce these places into an existing tagging scheme.
>
> In addition to ones providing accommodation & classroom facilites, many wildlife trusts, and similar bodies, have smaller centres for non residential courses. Ones I know well are: Attenborough Nature Centre, Idle Valley Rural Learning Centre [3], and the Wyre Forest Discovery Centre [4]. Many of these will share a building with a cafe and shop and perhaps other facilities.
>
> On a closing note, one of my favourite such places at Gibraltar Point, which I stayed at as recently as November 2012, was wrecked by a storm surge in 2013 [5].
>
> Jerry
>
> On 21 January 2016 at 08:10, Dan S <danstowell+osm at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I don't have a good answer, but I had a similar problem when trying to
>> tag a "Go Ape" outdoor centre last year. If you search for "Go Ape"
>> you find many different taggings around the country, including:
>>
>> leisure=sports_centre
>> tourism=attraction
>> tourism=theme_park
>> leisure=high_ropes_course
>> leisure=playground
>>
>> Possibly one of the top three is suitable for this? I'd like to hear
>> what other people think.
>>
>> Best
> [...]

Links:
------