[Talk-GB] Admin Boundaries in Northern Ireland

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Tue Jan 26 17:38:10 UTC 2016

What is missing, is AL8 - used for "Districts" in the UK. Counties used
to exist in NI but they are now defunct as administrative entities. The
boundaries seem to be (still) there in OSM, but with boundary=historic
admin_level=6. I am not sure where the existing AL10 data came from, and
what these boundaries are used for in practise.

The problem may be connected with a lack of open data for government
information in NI. They (including OSNI, Ordnance Survey Northern
Ireland) seem to be lagging behind the rest of the UK on that front.

Interestingly, the UK AL4 boundaries (for the nations of the UK:
England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland) demarcate the territorial
waters, and not the limits of normal administrative jurisdiction.

//colin