[Talk-GB] Next UK chapter concall

Dudley Ibbett dudleyibbett at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 26 20:02:57 UTC 2016

Hi Stuart
Taking a step back, perhaps we don’t need an “organisation”
membership class.  It might be easier to manage with just one class of membership.  It would however mean
there would be no “formal” representation of organisations so it might not be
compatible with encouraging organisations to contribute their data etc.

I might be wrong but if I was an employee of an organisation
representing them I would expect to do this in their time and for the
organisation to pay my expenses to attend meetings etc.  My concern would therefore be that “organisation”
members could end up holding all the posts on the committee as they would be
better resourced to do this.

There may well be other ways of ensuring there is a balance
of representation on the committee apart from excluding “organisation” members.  Perhaps there could be a dedicated post/s to
represent “organisation” members for example.

I’m not so concerned about general votes and “organisation”
membership as the barrier to someone joining and voting will “only” be the
membership fee.  Finding the time and
resources to participate in the committee is a much greater issue when it comes
to ensuring balanced participation/representation.

I see no reason why you couldn't chose the type of membership in the situation you describe.
I may be a in a minority of one on the above.  It would be good to know what other people think as we are quite a diverse "group".

Kind Regards
Dudley