[Talk-GB] Admin Boundaries in Northern Ireland

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 11:40:55 UTC 2016

On 26/01/2016 17:19, Walter Nordmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> any reason why there are only admin boundaries with admin_level=10 in
> Northern Ireland?
>
> No counties (AL6), no cities (AL8), no Suburbs(AL9) - nothing

Ireland (the island) is normally handled as one entity in OSM, so tends
to be covered by the talk-ie list and the #osm-ie IRC channel.  This
makes some sort of sense even in the context of admin boundaries as as I
understand it the underlying Townland etc. structure predates the
establishment of "Northern Ireland" (the part of Ulster that is in the UK).

Someone from the Irish community has already answered your original
question over here:

http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=573526#p573526

That links to http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Ireland/Boundaries

As has already been said, politically it's complicated... :

http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=573232#p573232

Cheers,

Andy

(not Irish, just an occasional tourist - any locals please feel free to
correct any of the above)