[Talk-GB] Fwd: Re: Admin Boundaries in Northern Ireland

Walter Nordmann wnordmann at gmx.de
Thu Jan 28 09:16:22 UTC 2016

Hi Andy,

 > Ireland (the island) is normally handled as one entity in OSM, so
tends to be covered by the talk-ie list and the #osm-ie IRC channel.
 > This makes some sort of sense even in the context of admin boundaries
as as I understand it the underlying Townland etc. structure predates
the establishment of "Northern Ireland" (the part of Ulster that is in
the UK).

Oops, something i was not aware of. And you are right, that makes sense.

 > Someone from the Irish community has already answered your original
question over here:
http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=573526#p573526 That
links to http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Ireland/Boundaries

I did not check the  uk forum after "switching" to talk-gb. Sorry for
that. And thank's for the link.

 > As has already been said, politically it's complicated... :
http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=573232#p573232

I know, but i think that has nothing to do with this "strange"
al5-boundaries. I'll check the links right now and may be i ask the
irishmen again.

Regards,
walter

btw: i'm delivering admin boundaries for the whole world:
https://osm.wno-edv-service.de/boundaries/
You may select, view and download them for free and of course use them
in your applications. I got questions from my "customers" asking me
"What the hell is going on in Northern Ireland? No boundaries there -
only AL10? We can't use it for our Applications."