[Talk-GB] shop=sports and sport=* rather than shop=sport and sports=*

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 22:52:43 UTC 2016

Hi,

Apparently 'someonelese' wants local discussion on this.

There is documented discussion on the wiki that puts the case and I
don't feel the need to repeat it here.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:shop%3Dsports

I think using the sport=* tag means you have the same tag for both shops
and pitches, etc.

Meaning documentation is reduced, and a similar rendering scheme can be
used.

 From https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/40537602 for a counter
argument

"1. As mentioned in my changeset comment, with shops it's common to use
the format shop=x x=y to expand on the products sold.

2. There's no reason why the values included in the sports key tag on
sports shop have to be exclusively sports. For example,
sports=fitness;sport_supplements;bicycle_parts would be valid.

My view is that if you think it's important to include the sport tag in
these cases, then fine, go ahead and add it,
but that should be in addition to the sports key and not instead.

In general, I agree the tagging conventions in these situations could be
improved and the sells=* tag might be a way to go about it. (This last
from my comment about OSM inconsistencies in the tagging conventions!)

----------------------------------

There were less than 20 uses of sports=* tag worldwide...

A sample of a section of the UK using Overpassturbo for shop=sports and
sport=* has some 79 uses...

There is a clear statement on the wiki. There is a clear majority of
uses that comply with the wiki.

Are nonconforming tags that can be easily altered to the standard way to
be left as non conforming?

There are less than 20 uses of shop=sport ... but none of them are in
the UK... they should be shop=sports ...