[Talk-GB] UK address tagging

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Sat Jun 4 15:50:37 UTC 2016

Hi,

I am wondering if there is any consensus about tagging for addresses in
the UK. I couldn't find any trace of a discussion, nor anything on the
wiki, but I may have missed something. In particular I am wondering
about locality vs. post town - one of these should probably go in
addr:city, but which one, and how do we tag the other one?

The address model used by Royal Mail is rather complex when compared to
some of the straightforward systems in mainland European countries,
which mostly manage with {number,street,postcode,town}. In the UK we
need something like
{[buildingname,](number|name),street,[dependent-street,][locality,]post-town,postcode}
for a full address (actually it appears even more complex than that, if
you refer to [1]).

Is anyone aware of a reference for how to map address fields to OSM
tags?

--colin

[1]
http://www.upu.int/fileadmin/documentsFiles/activities/addressingUnit/gbrEn.pdf