[Talk-GB] OS open map local polygon accuracy

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Mon Jun 6 22:50:29 UTC 2016

On Mon, 2016-06-06 at 18:04 +0100, roger at beardandsandals.co.uk wrote:
> I was thinking more of the woodland polygons, and the linear
> features. They are a lot harder to run a complex feature
> simplification algorithm on than the building outlines.  My test area
> is Warton Crag in north Lancashire. There is a lot of stuff there
> that looks like it has been hand traced from OS open street view
> rasters, which I suspect have been translated to WGS84 without using
> the OSTN02 data.

Past experience of OS Opendata Woodland imports has left me feeling
that they need to be checked very thoroughly before we consider using
them. Large areas that have never been woodland had been imported as
woodland and I have had to spend a lot of time cleaning up these
imports, there are also the strange gaps which had been imported and do
not exist in real life.

Personally I would just stick to tracing woodland from bing/mapbox
imagery.

Phil (trigpoint)