[Talk-GB] OSM with Wikidata: now covers UK and Ireland

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Fri Mar 11 12:40:16 UTC 2016

On 10 March 2016 at 20:53, Philip Barnes <phil at trigpoint.me.uk> wrote:

> What plans are there for maintenance of this data in future,  it is a move away from human readable tags so errors will go unnoticed.

Various tickets have been opened, requesting that the authors of the
major editing tools make them display the labels from Wikidata, and/
or the titles of the equivalent Wikipedia articles. Since these labels
are multilingual, this should /increase/ accessibility for non-native
speakers.

> Mappers are very unlikely to add new wikidata tags in the way we add Wikipedia.

Tickets have also been raised, asking that the addition of Wikipedia
tag also trigger the addition of a Wikidata ID.

Besides, editors seem happy to add a variety of other identifiers.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing