[Talk-GB] Pubs as areas: should be map the property or the building?

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Fri Mar 11 20:59:55 UTC 2016

On 11/03/16 17:26, SK53 wrote:
> Obviously I prefer for supermarkets, places of worship and pubs that the
> area mapped should be the building. However I can equally see that there
> are certain issues which are otherwise intractable where mapping the
> whole area offers some advantages.

Having just spent 2 months mapping schools I can see the logic of
something which seemed a problem previously. The tools do not yet fully
follow this style of tagging, but it is the ideal approach.

Details for the pub are at this level.

Within the site ...
parking, play areas, buildings and so on can be mapped and tagged, with
building=pub and other details.

Replace amenity=pub with school, collage, hospital and so on and each
area can be properly mapped.

Where an amenity is within another larger area such as a shopping mall
then the 'amenity' may well be an area within a larger building so
having the same tags for amenity and building makes perfect sense. Now
we just need the tools to add back in the links between the larger area
amenity and it's components?

Lester Caine - G8HFL
Contact - http://lsces.co.uk/wiki/?page=contact
L.S.Caine Electronic Services - http://lsces.co.uk
EnquirySolve - http://enquirysolve.com/
Model Engineers Digital Workshop - http://medw.co.uk
Rainbow Digital Media - http://rainbowdigitalmedia.co.uk

More information about the Talk-GB mailing list