[Talk-GB] UK Quarterly Projects

Stuart Reynolds stuart at travelinesoutheast.org.uk
Mon Mar 14 14:15:23 UTC 2016

It might also be worth doing some kind of survey to see what motivated participants in teh Schools project, what they liked, what they didn't like, how we could improve, how they heard of the project (if indeed some of the single editors were even aware they were being counted as part of a project)

My interest lies primarily with points of interest data. As many of you may recall, I work for one of the traveline regions for public transport journey planning. We are most interested, therefore, in the places that people actually want to travel to. Hospitals and other medical facilities are obviously one of those, as are schools. Churches also seem to be a key destination, and I have had contact from organisations that are trying to create directories of Mosques and other places of worship.

At present we buy in our point of interest data. However, we would like to use OSM because it is free, and because we don’t have to worry about POI locations moving or being missing - we can just create them in the map ourselves, and have it in our next data release. On that basis, I participated in the schools project because I was slightly horrified at the number of schools that were missing in a relatively small area like Southend. I didn’t participate in the previous project (which, if I recall, was postboxes) because I frankly don’t care about such “micro" objects when large objects like schools are missing, and for a future project I would be interested in mapping larger objects that we can reasonably accurately fix in space and track. So hospitals / medical facilities are one, places of worship another, and probably also parks / woods / nature reserves. These latter fall into the category of large areas which are not suited to points, but where there are defined access points and possibly central “information” points that could be considered “main entrances” or the focal point of the area.

Regards,
Stuart

Stuart Reynolds
for traveline south east & anglia