[Talk-GB] UK Quarterly Projects

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 14:51:45 UTC 2016

Anything covered by FHRS has decent Open Data coverage across the country:
hospitals, care homes, pharmacies.

Charity Care Commission Open Data has a significant overlap with doctors,
dentists, care homes, clinics etc.

Both contain postcodes so one can locate things approximately, but in many
cases there's plenty of other visual cues on aerial imagery or OSSV to
locate these. For smaller GP practices and many dentists a survey may be
necessary because they will be run from an ordinary house.

Some councils provide Open Data listings of Places of Worship (Nottingham
for instance). Be aware that many smaller christian groups and many mosques
may be in atypical premises. I have come across a number of Hindu temples &
Gurdwaras making use of former industrial buildings. The New Basford
Industrial area <http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/338712086> in Nottingham
has a surprising number of small places of worship which we would not have
found without the council data.

Although OSSV shows most Places of Worship, unless they are obviously
anglican churches by position, size, and presence in a churchyard, it is
difficult to deduce much more about them. I don't know if OpenMap Local has
any more information. For instance I gather that the distribution of
unitarian churches in Wales is rather interesting, but the information we
have is scant in the extreme.

It should be possible to locate the older established churches in England &
Scotland (and also Church in Wales) through use of old maps &
out-of-copyright guides. GSGS 3906 is very useful for Northern Ireland as
it often includes both the name & denomination of churches. Newer churches
in Northern Ireland may be recognised both by structure & large car parks,
especially when in the rural countryside. As an example there are currently
just over 2400 places of worship in Wales. There are/were about 1400
parishes many of which would have had several non-conformist chapels as
well as the parish church. Only around 350 had denomination=anglican, and
1900 religion=christian. (An additional problem in Wales is that churches,
and non-conformist chapels in particular, have been closing quite rapidly
over the past couple of decades). Finding ways to improve tagging of
existing places of worship, whether through survey or using other
resources, would be useful in its own right.

Jerry

On 14 March 2016 at 14:15, Stuart Reynolds <stuart at travelinesoutheast.org.uk