[Talk-GB] Pubs as areas: should be map the property or the building?

Neil Matthews ndmatthews at plus.net
Mon Mar 14 20:18:48 UTC 2016

I'd argue all approaches can be considered correct from the wiki:
"Add a node at the centre of the pub and add amenity=pub to it. ... If
the whole building is used for this feature and its footprint is present
in OSM, you can apply the tags on the area if you prefer."
Area obviously applies to "the whole building" but some might read it
differently :-)

If you're using the whole area style and there are elements, e.g.
roads,  that don't belong to it then the whole area needs to be split
into pieces and use a site relation -- like schools?

You also need to "layer" in landuse retail on the "site" that actually
has the retail portion, and not the car park.

The building probably should be tagged as building=retail? Or
building=pub? Or both?

Cheers,
Neil

P.S. Which building is the pub?