[Talk-GB] [UK Chapter] Definition of OSM.

Gregory nomoregrapes at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 20 18:44:13 UTC 2016

This isn't a description/blurb for the website/marketing.

This is for the AoA which is a legal document and needs to state what it
means when it refers to "OpenStreetMap". Reading the document (or searching
it for "OpenStreetMap") will help you understand the relevance. As Jerry
said on the call, it needs to be a proper legal definition (not using words
that need further definition) and it shouldn't matter too much to us (our
branding/slogan can change any time).

>From the land of the prince bishops,
Gregory.

On 20 March 2016 at 17:55, Amaroussi (OpenStreetMap) <mapper at minoa.li>
wrote:

> Dang, wrong sender email and wrong destination email again!
>
> Maybe try:
>
> “A free map service where users don’t need to pay elephant-sized fees to
> reuse the data.”
>
> or
>
> “Maps without borders, literally.”
>
> —Amaroussi
>
> On 20 Mar 2016, at 17:36, Gregory <nomoregrapes at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> Included in the meeting on Thursday[1] was discussion on the definition of
> "OpenStreetMap" in the AoA.
>
> For me, I think it is important that OSM is not controlled by a single
> entity, and the ability to fork and/or replicate it is essential. Some folk
> may feel more strong about me. I am actually happy with the OSMF
> protecting/guarding the data and infrastructure at the moment. It may not
> ever happen or be needed, but I think it's good to keep possible if two
> foundations existed. Technology is possible, and will get better with the
> ability of duplicate databases that communicate to keep up-to-date without
> you noticing. This already happens within OSMF having two DB servers, and I
> think France had a DB server with a read/write API.
>
> Anyway, I also understand a clear/simple definition is needed.
>
> Currently...
> "Open Data and services managed by the OpenStreetMap Foundation Ltd."
>
> Able to make it less exclusive?, so we're not fixed to the OSMF.
> "An open dataset and connected services which are available from
> OpenStreetMap Foundation Ltd, and other/mirror providers."
>
> Possible?
> "A free geographic database created by a number of people, along with
> initiatives and services to promote it's maintenance"
>
> Just thought, how often do the draft AoAs mention "OpenStreetMap"?
> Answer: 9 times
> a reference to OSMF), the CIC name(3 times), and the definition is 2
> occurrences.
>
> We talked about OSM community needing it's own definition.
> I still defend that the data on OSMF's servers is only one copy of it, it
> just happens that at the moment that copy gets accepted as the most recent.
> However, it seems defining the community is more important than defining
> OSM itself. :)
>

> From a 100-year-old terrace house,
> Gregory.
>
> [1] Notes of our meeting
> https://hackpad.com/2016-03-17-OSM-GB-Meeting-UGWMWunxvTb
> [2] OSMF website has a (non-legal) description
> http://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Main_Page
>
> P.S. I sent this on Thursday night, just from the wrong e-mail address so
> it didn't go through.
>
> --
> Gregory
> osm at livingwithdragons.com