[Talk-GB] Open data (Was: Parliamentary debate mentions OSM)

Stuart Reynolds stuart at travelinesoutheast.org.uk
Tue Mar 29 11:12:16 UTC 2016

There are two huge advantages to OSM, even just looking at the UK.

The first is timeliness. OSM is almost always faster with new features than OS (although accepting you also need a friendly local mapper). Just as a case in point, we were looking at Wickhurst Green, near Horsham, only this morning. OSM has the estate, and has the A264 correctly moved to the new relief road. OS (looking at the online OS Maps tool) still has it on the Broadbridge Heath Bypass. Google also has the incorrect road designations, by the way.

And the second huge advantage follows directly on from the first - if it is wrong, I can edit it myself, and use it straight away.

You will never get that from OS.

Regards,
Stuart