[Talk-GB] Open data (Was: Parliamentary debate mentions OSM)

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 11:17:55 UTC 2016

Actually I enjoy the process of going out & surveying stuff for OSM.

Of course it's nice that we can be better (more up-to-date, more detail,
additional attributes etc) than other map providers, but many contributors
do it not purely to add stuff to OSM, but for a multitude of other reasons:

   - to learn more about the places around where one lives;
   - to get out;
   - to meet-up with like minded people;
   - to get some exercise;
   - to go to the less obvious places;
   - to avoid stultifying in front of a screen;
   - to collect some data for some other purpose.

As long as people are motivated by one or all of these reasons, I see no
reason why they won't contribute to OSM. I suspect it's a fallacy that
people only contribute to OSM because other sources of OpenData aren't up
to scratch. If we have competition it is with other types of
volunteer-collected data, not with things like OS Open Data. OSM will never
achieve the consistency of coverage that OSGB do, so there will always be
applications and use-cases which will prefer to use data of this sort

Anyway, as long as I continue to find on average one bug a week with OS
OpenData streetnames there's room for both of us: particularly as I work to
improve both sets of data together.

Jerry Clough