[Talk-GB] Open data (Was: Parliamentary debate mentions OSM)

Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Tue Mar 29 11:57:44 UTC 2016

I'm currently perusing the datasets of Bath & North East Somerset that's
been distributed via Bath: Hacked.
https://github.com/BathHacked/banes-geographic-data (I'll be posting a
separate thread to clarifying a couple of points about it soon).

These sets certainly contain useful information, but I don't think they
should be imported directly . Although most are much more complete than
the equivalent data in OSM, many aren't as accurate. I certainly won't
be importing footpaths which often veer through hedges & buildings. What
does appear useful is the meta-data. Each rubbish bins has an ID number.
Who knew?

I'll be using a combination of Leaflet/Umap to do a contract & compare
of the datasets & Potlatch's excellent 'Tasks' utility to add
information, but only after verifying it with a ground survey. I think
I'm going to be busy.

Dave F.