[Talk-GB] New user renaming highway=cycleway with NCN references

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Fri May 13 07:35:21 UTC 2016

David Woolley wrote:
> For canal towpaths, bicycle=designated is misleading, as it tends
> to imply a public right of way, whereas these are normally
> access=permissive, and privately owned by the Canal and River
> Trust.

Again, Scotland is different. :)

Scotland's canals didn't go to CRT: they're still owned and run by the
British Waterways Board. Because CRT has all the ex-BW England & Wales
canals, the British Waterways Board has rebranded itself "Scottish Canals",
though legally it's still BWB.

Scotland's access laws are also different, and for that reason the old BW
cycle permits weren't needed on Scottish towpaths as BW believed it had no
legal basis to apply them.

In this case I'd simply just go for bicycle=yes.

(As Andy says, towpaths on canals in England & Wales can occasionally be
PRoWs too - sometimes in the case of under-restoration canals like the
Cromford, sometimes on restored canals that are now part of the CRT system,
and sometimes just on ex-BW CRT waterways.)

Richard
(former BW employee!)