[Talk-GB] School's Edubase URN ID continually changing?

Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) robert.whittaker+osm at gmail.com
Wed May 25 14:20:01 UTC 2016

On 25 May 2016 at 15:06, Dave F <davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com> wrote:
> Some existing schools are having their URN ref updated. Is this a one off or
> continuous process? What prompts the renumbering?
>
> If they're all going to change, it defeats the purpose of including them in
> the OSM database.

I believe the most common reason for a new number being assigned is if
the school changes from being under LA control to become an Academy.
It should be a one-off change for each school. (I don't know if a
change in an Academy Sponsor prompts a new URN though.) If you have
the old URN for a school, you can look it up on Edubase, go to the
"links" tab, and it will probably show you the new "School" with the
new number.

I guess it's annoying for us, as we see it as the same school with a
different status. Whereas DfE see it as the old school closing and a
new school opening. It might be useful for us though, since the change
in URN may well correspond to a change in name -- in which case the
prompt to check by the URN needing updating is probably useful.

Robert.

--
Robert Whittaker