[Talk-GB] Technical Help

Gregory nomoregrapes at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 3 13:30:19 UTC 2016

Brian,

Are you looking to actually setup hardware somewhere and configure this
yourself(as a group)?
Or would you want someone to provide an OpenStreetMap hosted service that
you can put your own style or other customisations on?

Unless it was for personal learning purposes, I would consider the latter
option and have a chat with Andy Allan.
I would say it's the whole economies of scale with technical support. If
there's a problem with the server, or with some update needed, Andy's going
to be fixing it for his other servers/customers anyway.
https://www.thunderforest.com/pricing/

>From Newcastle,
Greg.

On 2 November 2016 at 08:32, Brian Prangle <bprangle at gmail.com> wrote:

> Still looking for assistance in sizing a tile server
>
> On 28 Oct 2016 1:28 p.m., "Brian Prangle" <bprangle at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone
>>
>> We're about to start an exciting project together with Birmingham City
>> Council, Amey, Transport for West Midlands, Innovation Birmingham, OpenData
>> Institute and Birmingham City University.  More details to follow once it's
>> officially launched.
>>
>> There's a small amount of seed funding and we need to size a server and
>> storage that will serve OSM tiles for the West Midlands (Geofabrik's
>> download is 37MB for an osm.pbf file). We would need a production server
>> with an initial guesstimate hit rate of 5000 per day and a dev server, and
>> a backup for both.
>>
>> I've no idea how to do this but I'm hoping there's someone who can help
>> me.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Brian

Gregory