[Talk-GB] Copyright and MAPS.ME android 6.2.5-Google

ael law_ence.dev at ntlworld.com
Tue Oct 4 19:49:32 UTC 2016

I have just found a local cafe added to OSM by "MAPS.ME android 6.2.5-Google",
at least that was the "created by" tag.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/41346334#map=19/51.78621/-1.48443

The mention of Google suggested that Google maps might have been used,
although I suspect it just means that the App is available on the Google
store.

A quick skim of the website http://maps.me/en/home didn't seem to throw
any light on this. I have sent a message to the mapper asking if he/she
was sure that the information was copyright free/original and haven't
had a reply as yet.

Is anyone familiar with this App and whether the mapping is legitimate?
The user has not uploaded any gps traces which may or may not be
relevant.

I have my own gps Waypoint for the cafe (I was about to add the fhrs:id)
so I can remap it the current version is illegitimate.

ael