[Talk-GB] Autumn Quarterly Project

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 20:35:43 UTC 2016

Hi Dan,

>From my perspective I would say:

1. Actively survey retail areas using FHRS data to substantially enrich
survey data with addresses etc. (In particular using FHRS can reduce the
time needed for an initial survey).
2. Use unmapped FHRS postcodes to go where no-one has gone before. Outlying
convenience stores in council estates, small parades of shops. Just a
fleeting visit to such sites often helps get a better context for the whole
area. (Ideally share photos etc., then others can learn this context too).
3. Use FHRS to enrich existing data.

To date I have been doing all of these:

1. Cambridge Fenland villages visited last weekend (a surprisingly large
number of POIs, many already surveyed but largely w/o address data).
2. Parts of Ashford, Kent (largely enriching existing data, but some
additional POIs and updates on others). Short survey 'cos it was raining
when I visited.
3. Hothfield Kent. Largely enrichment, but all locations surveyed too.
4. The Coed Mawr council estate in Bangor North Wales. My father was in
digs there in the '50s. I did a very brief survey last year, but never
added all the infomation. I think I targeted it because of a missing post
box, but a postcode with unmapped shops would have been the same.
5. Lincoln High Street. Entirely an exercise in adding details from an
armchair. Chosen because a) it happens to be test case I'm using for
automatically generating interpolation lines; and b) a day in Lincoln
before the year is out including a bit of mapping seems feasible.

In practical terms for the rest of the quarter, if I can visit & add
details for two or more of Mansfield, Newark, Grantham or Retford then I'll
be content. Data I added in Workshop 3 years would definitely benefit from
address tags. Leicester is an on-going project but my next surveys will be
around the New Year.

To recapitulate
, I suggest three alternatives:

   - *Survey *unmapped/undermapped retail centres. Add lots of POIs and
   detail quickly.
   - *Armchair *additional detail to what is already mapped.
   - *Unvisited Places*. Use FHRS postcodes as a driver to visit places one
   wouldn't normally go to. These may never have had any kind of ground survey
   in the history of OSM.

I think you've mentioned wanting more opening hour details & so on, so I
suspect that the first is most compatible with that. For many areas of
London it may be worth doing the armchair work before a visit to survey as
it will likely flag up anomalies, missing POIs etc. For instance there's
almost certainly stuff missing in Stoke Newington because some of my data
gathering last year was from the top of a bus! (And Abney Park is worth a
visit anyway)

Jerry