[Talk-GB] Autumn Quarterly Project

Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Thu Oct 13 12:04:51 UTC 2016

On 11/10/2016 12:36, John Aldridge wrote:
> In most cases that involves filling in addr:postcode and fhrs:id on
> existing OSM features. I'm not, however, trusting that the postcode
> recorded on FHRS is accurate, and I'm not setting addr:postcode unless
> I can find corroborating information (e.g. the establishment's web site).

A way I found to test the validity of post codes is to use Potlatch 2
'task' feature. It uses the co-ordinates from the FHRS data, which are
derived from post code's centroid to pan to the location. If it's looks
suspicious (I've had one in the middle of a lake) then it needs further
verification from the establishments website. I believe there's a JOSM
plugin that that performs similarly.

I'm collating any erroneous data to pass back to the local authority.

Cheers
Dave F.