[Talk-GB] access:psv

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 22:52:36 UTC 2016

On 14-Oct-16 05:22 AM, Gregory wrote:

> I agree with what Chris says.
>
> I continue mapping with the tagging scheme I use until someone
> messages me as a discussion. By ignoring current usage (regarded with
> more reverence than the wiki) your consumption will potentially miss
> new data that mapper adds, they will likely be unaware of your mass
> manual edit.
>
> As an occasional data consumer, I have also used tags on non-public
> projects because I once looked at a local area (or did mapping of it
> myself) and saw what was used. Why is it fair that you break my system
> without even contacting people who mapped with those tags?

"MY system"? Really. Once it is 'in' OSM it is no longer 'yours'. I
think of OSM as a community .. diverse but all want a map.

Where a tag is undocumented on the wiki then it is very open to
interpretation ... and the interpretation could well be that the tag is
an error.

There are probably at least 40,000 different ways of tagging the same
object ... by using the wiki documented methods the data becomes more
usable, consistent, understandable rather than fragmented and confusing.
While upsetting a single mapper is not good, that could be better than
upsetting many more.