[Talk-GB] Peak & Northern Footpath Signs

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 14:15:16 UTC 2016

Over the weekend I noticed a number of Peak & Northern footpath signs
<http://www.peakandnorthern.org.uk/signposts/about-our-signposts.htm>. A
friend who is a member of the society told me that there are over 500, and
that some people try to visit them in numerical order (just goes to show
there's always someone dafter than OSM editors).

A number have been tagged with operator=Peak & Northern Footpath Society,
along with a ref. See this <http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/ion>Overpass query.

Here are a couple of examples which I photographed:

   - http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5115439
   - http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5115443

And others on Geograph:
http://www.geograph.org.uk/tagged/peak+%26+northern+footpath+society#photo=5115443

The P&N website shows all the locations here:
http://www.peakandnorthern.org.uk/signposts/style1.htm

As these have a degree of cultural interest beside pure geekery I wondered
if we could map & tag these systematically. An analogy would be the
Sustrans mileposts. My suggestions would be:

   - information=guidepost
   - operator=Peak & Northern Footpath Society
   - guidepost=hiking
   - p&ns_ref or ref_p&ns=#
   - start_date=*
   - p&ns_sign=*

and for ones with a dedicatee (e.g., near Hope):

   - historic=memorial

Any other thoughts & I'll try & put this together for a wiki page.

Jerry