[Talk-GB] UK Postcodes

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Mon Sep 26 09:35:59 UTC 2016

On 25/09/16 23:24, Chris Hill wrote:
> Postcodes don't apply to a road, they apply to a collection of delivery
> points. Many, many roads have multiple postcodes

Reply on phone went to wrong place ;)
If we have buildings on a road, then the postcode goes on every
building, but I still think that is wrong. The alternative of putting on
road does not work for the reason Chris gives, but grouping all the
houses having a common street name and post code cuts down on the volume
of duplication in the data. One thing that a postcode is SUPPOSED to
avoid is having two different street name elements for the postcode, so
at least the sections of a road can be consistent. So yes - 'Postcodes
never apply to more than one street', but we may have a different
postcode on either side of a street :( The main reason for searching for
a postcode is for the routing software, and in those cases identifying
the road is useful when the 'centroid' can be some distance of track. If
the postcode is only on the buildings then the result can be even worse
where roads are in close proximity, so we probably have to put up with
duplication on building and the correct adjacent road, although
'postcode for GPS' is common in rural areas - and confuses things further.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL