[Talk-GB] UK Quarterly Project Oct-Dec 2016

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 13:44:37 UTC 2016

The three obvious categories are restaurants (inc. cafes), takeaways &
pubs. Supermarkets is a small set. Schools we've already done. Retailers
(other) covers convenience stores and other small food shops. The other
categories are less useful (although care homes in conjunction with CQC
Open Data is a relatively small group which is probably undermapped).

I'd actually avoid trying to filter on groups because in general it's much
easier to maintain data for rows of shops which is complete. One runs into
issues with nodes being slightly misplaced, name changes etc which in the
end make it harder to track. It was Paul William's mapping of Mansfield
Road in Nottingham back in 2011 which made me realise this. I'd done a bit
of shop mapping before a London pub meeting and found my productivity was
really low because bits & pieces were already there but not quite in the
right place.

The selection criterion I used when I did this back in 2013 for Nottingham
was numbers of FHRS entries per postcode. I used QGIS to show these as bubbles
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/sk53_osm/8559309309>and was able to create a
GPX file from QGIS for my Garmin. The advantage was that I could knock off
a known number quickly: mainly I just visited a place on Sunday morning &
took photos, a few house numbers from the surrounding area for additional
context for addressing & that was it. Of course these leaves you with
isolated ones in funny places, but most of these I linked to when I was
doing something in the car so that it was easier to visit the sites quickly.

Jerry