[Talk-GB] OS Custom Made maps

Marco Boeringa marco at boeringa.demon.nl
Wed Apr 26 12:38:05 UTC 2017

I am not surprised they outsource the digital printing aspect of the
operation. This is something current digital printing companies seem to
do really well, considering the boom in custom "photo album" type services.

As to changes in cartography: looking at my '90's era Landranger map and
comparing it with the current styling of the custom printed 2017 map,
only minor changes have taken place. As SwissTopo does in their current
maps, OS UK also seems to be using a raster scan of their original hand
drawn relief features as an overlay in the maps. It is clearly not
digitally derived.

"we still lack easy to use render chains designed for print."

I am in the process of finishing of one for ArcGIS... took me four years
though. Very early results here, cartography pretty outdated though, I
have made significant changes and improvements since then, and present
some more up to date results throughout more recent posts in the forums:
https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=26451

"but 1:25k often is a little too large a scale for gaining a quick
overview of an area, and 1:50k often miss detail which is important for
navigation"

Although scales can be completely arbitrary in ArcGIS, one scale I
designed my custom style for, is also an intermediate 1:37.500 scale. It
indeed gives the sweet spot between to small scale for significant
features (1:50k), and to large scale for convenience and coverage (1:25k).

Marco

Op 26-4-2017 om 14:09 schreef SK53:
> AFAIK SplashMaps UK custom maps are now entirely based on OS data,
> rather than the original products which used OS OpenData and OSM. IIRC
> the original SplashMaps were 1:40k scale, but now they use Explorer
> maps at 1:25k.
>
> I think OSGB have now out-sourced their entire 'leisure' map printing
> operation (this was always an erroneous title, plenty of professionals
> - ecologists, land agents, council officers - use them on a daily basis).
>
> I don't know if OSGB have changed their cartography much since the
> '90s (probably not v. much for Landranger), but dont be surprised to
> see changes akin to those introduced by SwissTopo.
>
> Personally, and, still a good reason to support OSM, I'd like maps at
> different scales. The Outdoor Leisure Explorers for Snowdonia are
> notoriously and uselessly large for practical use on the hills, but
> 1:25k often is a little too large a scale for gaining a quick overview
> of an area, and 1:50k often miss detail which is important for
> navigation. However, we still lack easy to use render chains designed
> for print.
>
> Jerry
>
> On 26 April 2017 at 12:53, Marco Boeringa <marco at boeringa.demon.nl
> <mailto:marco at boeringa.demon.nl>> wrote:
>
>     A bit off topic I admit, but I just received my first two OS UK
>     custom maps, with my own chosen print extent. I love it!
>
>     Being custom digital print, the quality does not fully hold up
>     with my 1990's era "Snowdon & surrounding area" offset version,
>     but it is still entirely acceptable, and it is lovely to compare
>     the original map with my custom 1:50k and 1:25k map and see what
>     has changed (or not). I studied there for half a year, so know the
>     area quite well.
>
>     Of course I already new the custom map services some of the
>     OpenStreetMap companies are offering, but I wasn't yet aware
>     Ordnance Survey was offering such a service for Landranger (1:50k)
>     and Explorer (1:25k) series maps. Anyone else who tried it, and
>     possibly found use for it when outdoor mapping for OpenStreetMap?
>
>     Marco
>

>     ---
>     Dit e-mailbericht is gecontroleerd op virussen met Avast
>     antivirussoftware.

---