[Talk-GB] Building that have been replaced

Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Fri Aug 4 11:45:53 UTC 2017

On 04/08/2017 12:11, Dan S wrote:
>> I'm pretty sure we've had this conversion before, where I pointed out OSM is
>> not a historical record. If gone in the real world,it should be removed from
>> OSM. If you wish to store out date info, transfer it to Open History Map.
> Yes I thought so too. I tried to search the talk-gb archive for it but
> I couldn't find the thread. Shame it isn't easier to find things in
> our previous threads.
This is the welcome screen shown to all new users:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/welcome.html

>> Seeing OSM is a global endeavour it's disappointing you keep repeat 'Around
>> here...' as if Nottingham is somehow different & special when compare with
>> elsewhere.
> Don't worry too much about that, I'm sure it's just about awareness,
> not exceptionalism!

 From his previous posts, regrettably I don't believe that to be true.
And he's not alone. See Cambridge University where a mapper has
knowingly misinterpreted well defined tags to suit his custom rendering,
(every uni building is tagged amenity=university & recreation grounds
are tagged as pitches).
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/52.20114/0.12167

https://map.cam.ac.uk/#52.199657,0.117062,16

DaveF