[Talk-GB] Edits in Wales

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Thu Aug 10 14:11:24 UTC 2017

On 10/08/17 14:32, Miguel Sevilla-Callejo wrote:
> Please, came to Wales and have a look of the bilingual situation within
> your country.
My origins are the Isle of Man and Manx is an even less used language
than Welsh but is being added back to signs! I'm up in North Wales next
week ... and make regular trips down the M50 and on into South Wales ...

> You could have an idea of how it is going the language issue here
> following the legal situation. Let's have a look of Welsh Language
> (Wales) Measure 2011 (part 1):
>
> " [...] the treatment of the Welsh language no less favourably than the
> English language;"
>
> I expect the same for my favourite spatial and free data base...

The whole point is that political disputes arise world wise, so the
simple rule is 'map what you see' ... with regards 'Queens Square' I see
from Google that there MAY have been a bus terminus at some point in
time, but that no longer exists? I would presume that the slip road in
front of the town hall was the actual location, but that 'Queen's
Square' consists off the green areas and possibly the forecourt of the
town hall. THAT is not easy to decide by observation, but the Road tags
do not need to be changed, just the footpaths and park area added and
tagged ... local knowledge is required to interpret the signs ... at the
very least the slip road needs adding on OSM.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL