[Talk-GB] Edits in Wales

Brian Prangle bprangle at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 16:19:42 UTC 2017

There is indeed a problem. A newcomer (a visitor to our country whose first
language is not English) wants to improve the data and goes to the first
source of what is seen to be the authoritative source - the wiki- to seek
guidance, and then asks, from etiquette, what the local community thinks,
only to initially get varying opinions from mappers who don't live in Wales
( not sure whether they're Welsh speakers or not); rather than from local
mappers who might be Welsh speakers. Comments from English mappers I
believe just don't have the same weight as they don't live in a country
with another language (in fact with any language) having official status
and shouldn't be taken as adequate guidance, hence the advice to stick with
the wiki.

 So what is he to do? Follow the wiki, which has been implemented so far as
I know at least in regions of Spain and Belgium, and has a specific section
on Welsh placenames to which he refers (which seems pretty sensible and
uncontentious to me and has not changed  much since 2009) or  just end up
confused and de-motivated?  This is why I believe an organised local
community is so important- it is not to decry the contributions of local
mappers- it is a repository of local knowledge and practices to which a
newcomer can turn.

*It is definitely not about the superiority of meeting in pubs- how on
earth did that get in? - or about encouraging unknowledgable outsiders to
undermine the efforts of local mappers. What do either of these assertions
add to the conversation, except to lower its tone?*

*Can this discussion  specifically address what is wrong with the wiki page
on Welsh placenames
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Multilingual_names#Wales
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Multilingual_names#Wales> and suggest
improvements?*

Can the wiki be edited to reflect any changes that are necessary, in order
to improve it and ensure that the next newcomer has some documented
guidance that is also locally acceptable so that we don't have the
experienced decrying the inexperienced for believing the wiki when, to
paraphrase, anyone with any experience knows it's for guidance only and not
to be taken as a gold standard.  How on earth is anyone "not in the know"
to act without  being seen as naive and attracting negative comments?  It's
not very welcoming and as an aside I believe that this attitude is part of
the reason why we don't keep new mappers and why our diversity is narrow.

I'm also hoping that this discussion might kickstart OMSUK's Welsh language
render project - I wasn't aware of cy osm - is it still live? (a Google
search gives a url with a blank page).

Regards

Brian