[Talk-GB] Latest OS Opendata

Chris Hill osm at raggedred.net
Mon Aug 14 09:50:03 UTC 2017

On 09/08/2017 22:38, Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) wrote:
> On 9 August 2017 at 18:13, Chris Hill <osm at raggedred.net> wrote:
>> I have a rather strange explanation as to why Forestry Commission land is
>> not shown on the OS Open Greenspace dataset. OS Customer Services have
>> explained that they can't distinguish what woodland is Forestry Commission
>> from aerial imagery nor can they determine what the access is from such
>> imagery. This seems ridiculous but that is their answer.
> I suspect that producing the Green Space map was forced upon OS by
> politicians, so they've just taken whatever existing datasets they
> have, and looked for polygon features that map to "Green Space" and
> exported them. (Hence the odd choice to include Golf Courses, which
> are mostly private.) Around me, the OS Green Space coverage is
> particularly poor with a lot of the public green space in my town
> missing. Much of the missing land in the town is owned by the District
> Council, but there are also bits that are CRoW Access Land and
> registered commons, which I'd have thought OS should know about. And
> then there's the whole of Thetford Forest missing!
>
>> I think it still has some value as it stands.
> Definitively. I've already found a couple of play areas hidden in
> housing estates that I didn't know existed, that I'll need to go a
> survey.
>
> The killer feature would be doing a comparison with the OSM data and
> showing discrepancies -- though that's much easier said than done!
>
>> Any more feedback will always be welcome.
> Would you consider adding the CRoW Access Land as an additional layer?
> (You can get the data under the OGL from
> http://environment.data.gov.uk/ds/catalogue/#/catalogue under the
> heading "CRoW Act 2000 - Access Layer".
>
> If you're interested in adding even more datasets, the National Trust
> has OGL data of it's "always open" land at
> http://uk-nationaltrust.opendata.arcgis.com/datasets/202ec400dfe9471aaf257e4b6c956394_0
> , and the Forestry Commission make their Public Forest Estate
> boundaries available under the OGL at
> http://data-forestry.opendata.arcgis.com/datasets/national-forest-estate-legal-boundary-england-2016/
> and/or http://data-forestry.opendata.arcgis.com/datasets/national-forest-estate-ownership-england-2016
> (though there isn't public access to all of it). In both of these
> datasets there will be overlap with the CRoW Access Land.
>
> Robert,

Thanks for the ideas. As it was, it was put together quickly and wasn't
very flexible. I have reorganised the way this works, though it looks
about the same. This will make it a bit more responsive and easier to
extend. I'll look at adding some more datasets. Every dataset is
individual so needs to be handled in it's own way.

--
cheers
Chris Hill (chillly)