[Talk-GB] Fwd: Re: Edits in Wales

Marc Gemis marc.gemis at gmail.com
Mon Aug 14 13:53:22 UTC 2017

I don't understand this question. Who defines what the preferred name
is ? The people living in that street, neighborhood, village, Wales ?
Or the subset of mappers in any of those items ?

Can I translate this to the Belgian situation to see if I understand
you correctly ?

We came up with a solution where there is no preferred way for the
mapper, s/he writes in the name field what is on the street name sign
(nl & fr) and fills in the name:nl, name:fr fields. The data consumer
can then make a map with his/her preference.
Roughly 60% of the Belgian are Flemish and will prefer the nl-version.
But the majority of the inhabitants of Brussels (or certain
neighborhoods) are probably French speaking and well prefer the
fr-version. So "preferred" really depends on which group of people you
question.
Since this is rather subjective, writing down what you see on a sign
is much easier then starting a poll, not ?

regards

m.