[Talk-GB] Edits in Wales

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Tue Aug 15 19:27:17 UTC 2017

On 15 August 2017 19:27:40 BST, Andy Townsend <ajt1047 at gmail.com> wrote:
>On 15/08/2017 19:22, Brian Prangle wrote:
>> But even local authorities and the OS get into hot water  over names
>>
><http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/english-name-gwynedd-beach-os-11185847>!(but
>
>> to be fair this is a placename rather than a street name with a
>> verifiable sign)
>
>As a kid I always thought that was called "Traeth Beach" because that's

And you are never far from Gorsaf Station.

A true story,  a grad from Wales was telling me that when he was at uni, some English friends were going to visit him. He got a phone call to say 'we have just passed Gwasanaethau Services.

We do map what we see, but we also present it in a way that makes sense. The same name twice in different languages looks wrong and that we end up with the River Avon.

The Araf/Slow rule, or the first language on the sign is a pretty good way of dealing with what name goes in the name tag and that seems to been the consensus over many years of different map is mapping in Wales. The wiki is after all intended to document how people map not dictate how they should map. The recent changes have not actually changed any method of mapping but nearly clarified what was already there in previous versions.

Phil (trigpoint)