[Talk-GB] Are Northern Ireland, Wales & England 'states'?

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Mon Aug 21 19:34:24 UTC 2017

One difference with France is that not everywhere in the UK is in a
parished area. In some cases the lowest local government area is a
unitary authority which can be huge. A French commune is often just a
single hamlet. There are nearly 37k communes in France!

Another difference is that the postal address (including postcode) is
linked to the administrative address. In the UK the postal addresses can
feel a bit random at times, and often puts and address in a place that
just feels "wrong" to the locals.

Hence I think there can be some justification for maintaining is_in in
the UK - to provide "alternative facts" to help geolocation.

--colin