[Talk-GB] Are Northern Ireland, Wales & England 'states'?

Adam Snape adam.c.snape at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 10:34:14 UTC 2017

Though abolished as administrative entities, the traditional counties
maintain a relevance as geographic terms so the Middlesex example is a good
example of how places mean different things to different people.

The question is how we should define places in OSM. As Colin stated,
administrative boundaries are not a great means of determining location in
the UK. Many large areas are unparished and parish boundaries are
problematic; they can cut through settlements or include places many miles
away. In many cases people don't think of borough or unitary councils as
determining their location (eg. no-one would say that they live in
Blackburn with Darwen). Simply drawing large polygons around settlements is
somewhat arbitrary and would ignore the fact that a place often includes
scattered buildings outside the core settlement. In all of these cases
is_in retains some usefulness.

Whilst not everybody agrees with their postal address, it is the most
common way to identify location, it is standardised, verifiable and covers
the whole country, so it is probably how places should be defined in OSM.
is_in will remain useful at least until OSM address and/or postcode
coverage is complete.

Kind regards,

Adam